Dr. Gangrene's Cinetarium airs Saturday Nights at 9pm central on Nashville NECAT Arts CH9. It is also simulcast on the NECAT Roku channel (search for Necat). Or click to watch below.

Wednesday, January 23

Rondo Awards - Best Movie of 2007

One of my favorite things about the Rondo Awards is the fact that it reminds me of all the great work that was done in the previous year. I was recently reflecting on movies made in 2007 and could only recall a few. The complete list of nominees in the Rondo Awards is listed below.

BEST MOVIE OF 2007

BEOWULF
'1408'
GHOST RIDER
GRINDHOUSE
HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
THE HITCHER
THE HOST
I AM LEGEND
THE INVASION
THE LAST MIMZY
THE MESSENGERS
THE MIST
THE ORPHANAGE
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: WORLD'S END
ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN
30 DAYS OF NIGHT
300
28 WEEKS LATER
SPIDER-MAN III
STARDUST
SWEENEY TODD

Now, I didn't see all of these, and in fact only saw a handful. But looking at the entire list I can honestly say that 2007 saw some really great movies. 1408, SPIDER-MAN III , 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, 300, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN - there are some heavy hitters in this bunch and some great horror movies, too.

My personal favorite of 2007, though, had to be Grindhouse. I went to see it with a big group of friends and it was just so much fun in the theater. It was a real experience - the fake trailers were a hoot and the double feature felt just like sitting at a drive in or, well, grindhouse watching some movies pulled straight from the 70s.

The fact they intentionally aged the film, complete with pops, scratches, hiss and even missing film reels made it a real treat. I'm not sure general audiences knew how to take it, but my friends and I sure did, and howled through the entire thing. Here's to Grindhouse - my choice for best movie of 2007!